Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A VERY SPECIAL young man . . .

 . . . my nephew, DANNY MOYER!


The son of my older sister, Linda, Danny has severe cerebral palsy and has been in a nursing home since he was around 2 years old.  We don't get to see Danny much because he gets too excited/upset and goes into seizures ... so we are limited in our visits.  In fact, his father who is his primary parent is only allowed 2 visits a month.


My sister called me on Saturday and asked if I would go with her this week to see Dan ... so that's what I did yesterday.  It's still very difficult for her to visit him alone and feels more comfortable when I'm there too!  That's fine with me because then I too get to visit with Danny ... otherwise, I may not be allowed.   Guess I'm kind of a comforting cushion between my sister and her son ... and I'm okay with that.  


It just so happened that my granddaughter was able to join us for lunch before heading over to the nursing home and came along to MEET her cousin for the first time.   Morgan is VERY good with special needs people and Danny warmed up to her right away!!  It was a very sweet moment when he made eye contact with Morgan and you could feel their connection!


At times it was difficult to get photos of Danny ... he can't/doesn't respond to your requests so ... we all came down to his level and talked to him when he wasn't feeling up to sitting up.  It turned out to be a very comfortable, warm visit and my sister was pleased to be able to introduce her new fiance' to her son.



Dan will be 38 years old on March 16th and we pray he will have many more birthdays ahead.  His life expectancy is of course shorter than normal due to his illness ... but he has already surpassed that and we are blessed to have him as long as we can!


Thanks for letting me share this experience with you and remember to give your kids a big hug today and let them know you love them . . . they are all precious gifts that we sometimes take for granite.


I'll be back a little later with some crafting creations to share!  Today is Midnight Madness day ... Joans Gardens Tag day ... Crafty Secrets challenge day ... and who knows what else I'll have for you!  LOL!    Happy Day Everyone!!


Hugs,
Darlene

5 comments:

  1. Dar, I've got to wipe away tears. What a difficult thing to have to go through...I can't imagine. After the morning I had...it brings things into perspective! Thank you for sharing this hun. God Bless you and your family and sweet Dan. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dar, you are a great sister and Morgan is a wonderful girl!!! My best friend's daughter has CP but it's not as severe as your nephews. She's going to be ten years old this year. She will never be able to walk or talk but thankfully she's able to go to a special school designed for children with CP. I am very proud that my daughters are so good with Jessica - they love to make her laugh - we're going to see her this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A most inspirational sharing Darlene. Thank you for reminding us we are all God's children and He love each of us so very much!
    blessings to you and your family!
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy foy your sister and you,,,and what a sweet face has Morgan Darlene,,,,,,My mum passed away a few months ago,,,,,, and I miss her every day,,,,really you are Right we all must be knd and enjoy every moment with your family,,,,them may be later,,,,,,,,,,Life is so,,,,,opssss....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, this tugged at my heart! What a sweet young man. My sister was born mentally retarded due to a medical error. She is now 52 but with about the mental capabilities of a 4 y/o. She lives in a group home and we get to bring her to my house for holidays and one weekend a month.
    Thank you for sharing your pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me some love!

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.