Thursday, February 11, 2016

A Valentine for my Sweetheart!

Hello and Happy Thursday All!

With being so busy with my mom being in the hospital nearly the entire month of January, I haven't even given thoughts to the fact that this Sunday is Valentine's Day!  Yikes!  How'd that happen?  LOL!

So today, I decided to create a card for my sweet husband before time gets away from me (would you believe
he saves ALL the cards I've ever given him! ... what a guy!)


I've been trying to do some re-organizing down here in the cave and one thing I need to do is go through all the designer paper I have and try to compile it better.  I did get some time yesterday to go through a portion of it and decided first thing to do was put all the scrap pieces into a pile to be used first ... one way or another.

One way I like using my scraps is to create background panels using various similarly colored papers.
Here's a peek at some of those I have created and packed in clear bags for future card making.


I used one such panel for the background on today's card creation and to 'kick it up a notch' used a technique my friend Diane (Nellie's Nest) shared on a card she created recently.  That technique is simple but adds wonderful texture ... simply run your design paper through your embossing machine with an embossing folder of your choice.  I have used the Cuttlebug 'hearts' embossing folder today.



I've used Graphic45 'Place in Time' images today as well as the beautiful Memory Box 'Loveland Corner' #99117 which was purchased at the Dies R Us Store.

Challenges to share in:
Crafting by Designs Challenge - Hearts
Crafty Creations Challenge - Hearts
Frilly and Funkie Challenge - Love is in the Air!
Mod Squad Challenge - From the Heart
Die Cuttin Divas Challenge - Say it with Love
Use Your Stash Challenge - Embossing Folder
Where the Heart Is Challenge - Love
The Paper Girls Challenge - Valentine/Love
Ooh La La Creations Challenge - Love and Romance
Quick Quotes Challenge #60 - Scraps of Paper
Pixie's Crafty Workshop Snippets Playground #215 - use snippets

Thanks SO MUCH for stopping by today!
Stay warm & safe if you are getting the weather we are getting at the present time
here in Ohio ...
As always . . .

25 comments:

  1. Love seeing your snowy landscape although hard to believe as it was about 60 here today! Sorry your mom has been in the hospital & hope she's better now. Your card is fabulous--love the way you made the background & I agree--dry embossing over patterned paper or a stamped background gives an amazing & gorgeous effect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty, Dar, and I love the way you embossed the back panel. The border strips add just the right contrast, too. Your hubby will love this pretty Valentine! Thanks so much for sharing with us at the Frilly & Funkie "Love is in the Air" Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sp pretty and I am sure he appreciates that it is handmade and from the heart (and not Hallmark..lol)....love using up those scraps and a beautiful way to do it....I will have my honeys card done soon, thanks to you...and thanks for the shout out, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everything about your card - the vintage feel, the die - it all goes together beautifully.
    Thanks so much for sharing with us at OLL
    Lynn x
    DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your card is gorgeous. I love the vintage look!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well if they're all this beautiful he had better save them--what a great guy! Love the layout and design and the old fashion post card feel, very vintage, very pretty! Love the heart flourish, very pretty! Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Mod Squad Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous!! Love the die cuts you have used!! Beautiful vintage look. Thank you for sharing with us at the Where The HeART Is challenge. Hope to see you again.
    -Berina
    Moxie Craftie
    Where The HeART Is DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Darlene! You have the best ideas! I love the way you repurpose your scraps to create these fabulous backgrounds, then add the embossing and the result is amazing! Your card is so sweet and made with so much love. Your husband will treasure it forever. Thank you so much for sharing your art with us at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great card! What a fun way to use your scraps and I love the embossing folder on the background - I'll have to remember this one ; )

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful card this is Darlene. It looks very vintage and has so many lovely elements. I'm sure it will be a favourite with your hubby. Well done with your sorting out. I wish I was so organised.

    I do hope you Mum is getting better. It must have been a great worry for you both. What beautiful snowy pictures they are at the top of your blog. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulously vintage looking Valentine's Day card.

    Love the idea of creating backgrounds ready for another day. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your beautiful vintage Valentine. I love when the paper does most of the work. You have done a great job with your fab design. Hope your mom is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This an exquisite creation. I love your tips for creating a background. Thank you for sharing it with. Us at OLL challenges. Wynn DT

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a lovely card! thanks for sharing with us at Quick Quotes this month!
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  15. So, so pretty, Darlene! My hubby and son save all my cards, too. Just look at all those backgrounds you've got ready to go! Helps speed things up, doesn't it? I like to do this, also. Sometimes I'll make a whole layout and add the image later. It's fun! Love the embossing on the DP and that corner die is fabulous! You always inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great use of snippets and a super card Darlene! So happy that you came to paly in the Snippets Playground! No doubt the lovely Diane showed you where the naughty hooch is hidden :)

    Love and hugs to welcome you. Di and little Parsnip the shy white bear :)
    xxx_

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a beautiful card, love it! Thanks so much for joining our challenge at *USE YOUR STUFF* ♥
    Majo - DT

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely card thank you for joining us at Ooh la la creations Hugs Sue DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love when I can use up bits and pieces too. This is a gorgeous vintage card and that die cut in the corner is a perfect addition. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the vintage look to your valentines card. Really lovely. Thanks so much for joining us for the Frilly and Funkie "Love is in the Air" challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous card, vintage and warm! Amazing details!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautifully romantic scrappy valentine card! I love your diagonal background you've created here. Thank you so much for joining us in our challenge this month at Quick Quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A gorgeous valentine card. Thank you for sharing with us at Crafty Creations Challenge. Marlene DT

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fabulous card with rich colours Darlene. Have a wonderful weekend!

    Love and hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous card! Thanks for joining us at Quick Quotes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me some love!
Darlene